This section describes how to start Vypress Messenger for Java for the first time. To start the program, please follow these steps:
Download the latest version of Vypress Messenger for Java (click here to open a new window with the Download Center page)
Download and install latest Java 2 (see link on above page).
Extract all files from the Vypress Messenger for JavaTM archive to disk.
Open your system console (MS-DOS Prompt or Command-line prompt in Windows).
Change the listed folder to the folder where you installed
Vypress Messenger. (For example:
Create messages directory:
In the console, type:
In UNIX you can type the following command to start the "detached from console" process:
java VyMess &
Vypress Messenger for JavaTM is FREEWARE - you can always use this program free of charge!
Works anywhere with Java 2 - it works in any OS that has Java Virtual Machine installed.
Cool high-color interface - Vypress Messenger for JavaTM uses rich, 256-color toolbar buttons, preferences tabs, menus with icons and other "fashion" interface elements!
True, OS-independent intranet and Internet communication - Vypress Messenger for JavaTM is fully compatible with Vypress Messenger for Windows. This program uses TCP/IP protocol and allows you to communicate trough ANY TCP/IP based network or Internet.
Very slow JavaTM performance - use Vypress Messenger for JavaTM only if you can't find the "native" version!
- Bugs! JDK and JFC tend to be a "bug collectors."
- You need additional software - Vypress Messenger for JavaTM won't work without Java 2 platform (or later).
- This is a "light" version - Vypress Messenger for JavaTM doesn't match up to the features found in Vypress Messenger for Windows. Some features missed in the Java-version include:
- Advanced Address Book - the JavaTM version has only a basic contact list
- Message Filtering - in the JavaTM version, it's not possible to ignore messages from selected users or with certain words
- No e-mail notification - many Unix systems have built-in tools for this task